Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Halloween 2005!

Happy Halloween, everyone!

For your spooky, weird pleasure...


Vermont witch display sparks chest beating


Brattleboro, Vt., has been under a spell ever since residents David and Lauren Petrie decorated the lawn of their Guilford Street home with a breast-feeding witch Halloween display a couple of weeks ago.

The display features a scarecrow witch with a gourd breast and a green baby witch doll.

A photo of the Petrie witch in the Brattleboro Reformer sparked a spate of letters.

Kym Goodnow, a mother of four living in West Brattleboro, wrote that she was not ready to explain nursing to her 4-year-old grandson, who spotted the display while they were driving home.

``I figured eventually we would cross that bridge, but to have to do it now because someone felt they had to shove it in our faces, it's just rude,'' Goodnow told the Herald yesterday. ``Halloween is supposed to be for kids, it's not for you to impose your beliefs on everyone else.''

Sarah Glennon, 42, a mother of three and resident of Brattleboro, wrote to the Reformer in favor of the witch.

``I have a 5-year-old and he saw it and it seemed to me that it was an opportunity for education and awareness,'' Glennon said yesterday. ``If it's making people more aware of the issue, that's great. I thought it was a very clever and creative display.''

The Petries said they were not deterred by the outcry and have no plans to take down the display.

``We are having fun with it,'' David Petrie said. ``My four kids were breast-fed and we believe it is the best way to feed a child.''


A note for ZPT fans: a picture of the breastfeeding witch can be seen if you click the link above. Enjoy!

Also....a collection of weird & funny Halloween message board posts can be seen on my other blog, Message Board Hell: Weird Posts from Cyberspace!

Until then....enjoy the lyrics from this great tune, "Halloween" by Siouxsie & the Banshees!

The night is still
And the frost it bites my face
I wear my silence like a mask
And murmur like a ghost
"Trick or Treat"
"Trick or Treat"
The bitter and the sweet
The carefree days
Are distant now
I wear my memories like a shroud
I try but words collapse
Echoing"Trick or Treat"
"Trick or Treat"
The bitter and the sweet
I wander through your sadness
Gazing at you with scorpion eyes
Halloween ... Halloween
A sweet reminder
In the ice-blue nursery
Of a childish murder
Of hidden lustre
And she cries
"Trick or Treat"
"Trick or Treat"
The bitter and the sweet
I wander through your sadness
Gazing at you with scorpion eyes
Halloween ... Halloween