Breast Milk to the Rescue! Mom's Quick Thinking Saves Vet
Mother's milk saves vet set ablaze on bus
A real-life supermom used a bottle of breast milk to douse an amputee yesterday after his wheelchair was set ablaze by punks on a Staten Island bus, cops said.
The nursing mother's fast actions helped save Vietnam vet Francis Abrams, 57, from becoming a human torch, and stopped the fire from engulfing the S-54 bus, police and the victim said.
Abrams, who lost his left leg in Vietnam, said he was minding his own business as he rode the city bus to the Staten Island Mall to buy a video of "The Exorcist."
Just after he boarded the bus, three teens playing hooky from Tottenville High School pulled a cruel prank, cops said. The teens used a cigarette lighter to ignite a plastic bag hanging from the back of Abrams' motorized wheelchair.
The flames quickly engulfed the bag, containing the Greek classics "Odyssey" and "Iliad." As the fire spread to Abrams' jacket, he screamed: "Water!"
As her baby looked on, the new mom and a friend sprang into the action, dousing the fire with a freshly pumped bottle of breast milk and another bottle of water, authorities said.
The back of Abrams' wheelchair was slightly melted by the fire, but he was not harmed thanks to the nursing mother.
The names of the suspects were not released because of their ages. All of them are 15. They were charged with arson, criminal mischief and reckless endangerment, authorities said.
Asked about the fire being extinguished with breast milk, Abrams bristled, "I don't care. It doesn't bother me."
Of all the reasons to breastfeed that I have been aware of these many years...."to save a veteran from fire" is one I haven't heard before. Kudos to the quick-thinking mom...and shame on the boys who set this man on fire. I hope they are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, the sick little fuckers.