Thursday, October 06, 2005

Zen Angel: MIA Due to Household Overhaul

My apologies for being MIA lately. It's been hectic here at the ol' homestead.

During our vacation, Eden had to bunk down with Wren a few times and had a blast. When we returned from Ohio, and Eden was back to her own room...she began having night terrors and screaming fits at bedtime. I put her, for one night, in Wren's room to see if she'd sleep better...and she slept
(if you'll excuse the pun) like a baby. The next night, she utterly refused to go back to "her" room and would only sleep in Wren's room.

Taking the hint, Jonathan and I went about turning two little girls' rooms into one.

At first, I was somewhat bothered by the whole thing. I had to share a room with my sister for years, and when I was a kid I would dream of having my own room. But space was limited, and it remained just a dream. I always told myself that my kids would never, ever have to share a room. Nope, not my kids. Naturally, I had forgotten the fact that when I was very young, I shared my room with Miss Hell
(my younger sister) not for want of space but because I, like Eden, had nightmares when I slept alone. So maybe there's a genetic predisposition to a need for room-sharing. Who knows. In any event, I was sad to see the nursery gone, and a joint girls' room appear.

Sad, that is, until I realized that we now had an empty room in the house. HOORAY! This meant I could move the homeschool stuff into Eden's old room and finally, finally, finally have my dining room back!

And so, the past week has been spent moving, rearranging, packing, decorating. And we're STILL not done. But I am glad to report that my dining room table is now where it belongs: in the dining room. Mealtimes are much smoother and less messy, and the breakers no longer flip off if I have the computer and the microwave going at the same time. And
(joy of all joys) I now have room in the kitchen for the vegetable bin I've wanted for years. I'd do the Jig of Joy, if I weren't so tired from the renovations and pain-induced insomnia.

Ah, fuck it. I'll do the Jig anyway.


;-)

4 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

Cool beans. You know, my little ones are now past their 3rd birthday and still insist in sleeping in the same room. It'll have to end soon though ... something just not right about sharing your room with your brother/sister.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Fizz said...

Having personally experienced the haven that is Chateau Angel I must send a huge "nice work" to Eden and her brilliant plot to give Mommy much needed space.

I believe I'm due for a visit?

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger The Rainbow Zebra said...

WOOHOO!! :)

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Pixie LaRouge said...

Congrats on the new space! And, as for room-sharing, it can be kinda nice to have someone "there." Heck, married adults are expected to share rooms, so why are kids expected to sleep alone? Pondering the imponderables...

Enjoy the added space! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home