Saturday, October 22, 2005

100 Best Movie Quotes by the Experts...and 100 More By Me

I was ordered to take some much-needed rest today, and while doing so, I happened to catch the AFI's 100 Best Movie Quotes special on tv. I enjoyed it thoroughly...but was somewhat mystified by the great quotes they omitted. Of course...they only had 100 spaces to fill...

And so, I decided to create a list...the 100 More Best Movie Quotes, According to Zen Angel.

I also played hard & fast with the rules: I stuck to AFI's obvious dislike of curse words (even though it meant leaving out some great quotes), stuck to American movies only (even though it meant no MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL) and I limited the "lines" to three...but where AFI's list left off in the year 2000, I allowed more recent film entries.

Feel free to disagree, or leave comments about quotes I left out. I am sure I have missed tons of great ones.

But first...



AFI's list:


1 Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
GONE WITH THE WIND

2 I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.
THE GODFATHER

3 You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.
ON THE WATERFRONT

4 Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.
THE WIZARD OF OZ

5 Here's looking at you, kid.
CASABLANCA

6 Go ahead, make my day.
SUDDEN IMPACT

7 All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up.
SUNSET BLVD.

8 May the Force be with you.
STAR WARS

9 Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night.
ALL ABOUT EVE

10 You talking to me?
TAXI DRIVER

11 What we've got here is failure to communicate.
COOL HAND LUKE

12 I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
APOCALYPSE NOW

13 Love means never having to say you're sorry.
LOVE STORY

14 The stuff that dreams are made of.
THE MALTESE FALCON

15 E.T. phone home.
E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL

16 They call me Mister Tibbs!
IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT

17 Rosebud.
CITIZEN KANE

18 Made it, Ma! Top of the world!
WHITE HEAT

19 I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!
NETWORK

20 Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
CASABLANCA

21 A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.
THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

22 Bond. James Bond.
DR. NO

23 There's no place like home.
THE WIZARD OF OZ

24 I am big! It's the pictures that got small.
SUNSET BLVD.

25 Show me the money!
JERRY MAGUIRE

26 Why don't you come up sometime and see me?
SHE DONE HIM WRONG

27 I'm walking here! I'm walking here!
MIDNIGHT COWBOY

28 Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By.'
CASABLANCA

29 You can't handle the truth!
A FEW GOOD MEN

30 I want to be alone.
GRAND HOTEL

31 After all, tomorrow is another day!
GONE WITH THE WIND

32 Round up the usual suspects.
CASABLANCA

33 I'll have what she's having.
WHEN HARRY MET SALLY

34 You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.
TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT

35 You're gonna need a bigger boat.
JAWS

36 Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!
THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE

37 I'll be back.
THE TERMINATOR

38 Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.
THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES

39 If you build it, he will come.
FIELD OF DREAMS

40 Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
FORREST GUMP

41 We rob banks.
BONNIE AND CLYDE

42 Plastics.
THE GRADUATE

43 We'll always have Paris.
CASABLANCA

44 I see dead people.
THE SIXTH SENSE

45 Stella! Hey, Stella!
A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE

46 Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars.
NOW, VOYAGER

47 Shane. Shane. Come back!
SHANE

48 Well, nobody's perfect.
SOME LIKE IT HOT

49 It's alive! It's alive!
FRANKENSTEIN

50 Houston, we have a problem.
APOLLO 13

51 You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?
DIRTY HARRY

52 You had me at "hello."
JERRY MAGUIRE

53 One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.
ANIMAL CRACKERS

54 There's no crying in baseball!
A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN

55 La-dee-da, la-dee-da.
ANNIE HALL

56 A boy's best friend is his mother.
PSYCHO

57 Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.
WALL STREET

58 Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
THE GODFATHER II

59 As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.
GONE WITH THE WIND

60 Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
SONS OF THE DESERT

61 Say "hello" to my little friend!
SCARFACE

62 What a dump.
BEYOND THE FOREST

63 Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?
THE GRADUATE

64 Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
DR. STRANGELOVE

65 Elementary, my dear Watson.
THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES

66 Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.
PLANET OF THE APES

67 Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
CASABLANCA

68 Here's Johnny!
THE SHINING

69 They're here!
POLTERGEIST

70 Is it safe?
MARATHON MAN

71 Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!
THE JAZZ SINGER

72 No wire hangers, ever!
MOMMIE DEAREST

73 Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?
LITTLE CAESAR

74 Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown.
CHINATOWN

75 I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.
A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE

76 Hasta la vista, baby.
TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY

77 Soylent Green is people!
SOYLENT GREEN

78 Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

79 Striker: Surely you can't be serious.

Rumack: I am serious…and don't call me Shirley.
AIRPLANE!

80 Yo, Adrian!
ROCKY

81 Hello, gorgeous.
FUNNY GIRL

82 Toga! Toga!
NATIONAL LAMPOON'S ANIMAL HOUSE

83 Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make.
DRACULA

84 Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast.
KING KONG

85 My precious.
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: TWO TOWERS

86 Attica! Attica!
DOG DAY AFTERNOON

87 Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!
42ND STREET

88 Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you forget it. You're going to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go!
ON GOLDEN POND

89 Tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper.
KNUTE ROCKNE ALL AMERICAN

90 A martini. Shaken, not stirred.
GOLDFINGER

91 Who's on first.
THE NAUGHTY NINETIES

92 Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac...It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!
CADDYSHACK

93 Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!
AUNTIE MAME

94 I feel the need - the need for speed!
TOP GUN

95 Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary.
DEAD POETS SOCIETY

96 Snap out of it!
MOONSTRUCK

97 My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you.
YANKEE DOODLE DANDY

98 Nobody puts Baby in a corner.
DIRTY DANCING

99 I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!
WIZARD OF OZ, THE

100 I'm king of the world!
TITANIC

----------------------------------------------


And now, on to the 100 More Best Movie Quotes, According to Zen Angel:


1) We're on a mission from God.
THE BLUES BROTHERS

2) Leave the gun, take the cannoli.
THE GODFATHER

3) Here's Johnny!
THE SHINING

4) You make me want to be a better man.
AS GOOD AS IT GETS

5) It's good to be the king!
HISTORY OF THE WORLD: PART ONE

6) Aye, fight and you may die, run, and you'll live...at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade all of that from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take away our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!
BRAVEHEART

7) These go to eleven.
THIS IS SPINAL TAP

8) I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.
WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT

9) I'm poor, black, I might even be ugly, but dear God, I'm here. I'm here.
THE COLOR PURPLE

10) Run, Forrest, run!
FORREST GUMP

11) Luke, I am your father.
STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

12) In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.
SCARFACE

13) You shall not pass!
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RINGS

14) Snakes...why did it have to be snakes?
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

15) That's classified. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
TOP GUN

16) I'm an excellent driver.
RAIN MAN

17) Remember George, No man is a failure who has friends.
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

18) He slimed me.
GHOSTBUSTERS

19) That'll do, pig. That'll do.
BABE

20) You see us as you want to see us: in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, and a basket case, a princess, and a criminal. Does that answer your question?
THE BREAKFAST CLUB

21) My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
THE PRINCESS BRIDE

22) Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.
FERRIS BEULLER'S DAY OFF

23) Ladies, you have to be strong and independent, and remember, don't get mad, get everything.
THE FIRST WIVES CLUB

24) I'm the ghost with the most, babe.
BEETLEJUICE

25) People hurt the ones they love. That's how it is all around the world.
THE GREEN MILE

26) KAHN!
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn

27) First rule of Fight Club, you do not talk about Fight Club. Second rule of Fight Club, you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.
FIGHT CLUB

28)Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.
THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

29) There can be only one.
THE HIGHLANDER

30) I'm NOT gonna be ignored, Dan.
FATAL ATTRACTION

31) Help me, help me!
THE FLY

32) The dingo's got my baby!
A CRY IN THE DARK

33) We gotta win that fight. I'm gonna get EVEN with those little Socs! Let's do it for Johnny, man. We're gonna do for Johnny!
THE OUTSIDERS

34) But enough about me, let's talk about you... what do YOU think of me?
BEACHES

35) Ditto.
GHOST

36) Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
CASABLANCA

37) This isn't a hospital! It's an insane asylum! And it's your fault!
M*A*S*H

38) What if there isn't a tommorrow? There wasn't one today.
GROUNDHOG DAY

39) If a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man.
A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

40) Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.
GOOD WILL HUNTING

41) I don't know nothin' about birthin' babies.
GONE WITH THE WIND

42) Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
BATMAN

43) I am not an animal!
THE ELEPHANT MAN

44) I never drink wine.
DRACULA

45) Now and then, for no good reason, life will haul off and knock a man flat.
OLD YELLER

46) Just as I thought. "Mary Poppins, pratically perfect in every way."
MARY POPPINS

47) And in case I don't see you: good afternoon, good evening and good night!
THE TRUMAN SHOW

48) Magic mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?
SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARVES

49) They call it a "Royale" with cheese.
PULP FICTION

50) Hey, don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love.
ANNIE HALL

51) Sanctuary! Sanctuary!
THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME

52) Back, and to the left...
JFK

53) You know the difference between you and me? I make this look good.
MEN IN BLACK

54) Some guys get all the breaks.
42ND STREET

55) I must be crazy to be in a loony bin like this.
ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

56) The horror...the horror.
APOCALYPSE NOW

57) You'll shoot your eye out, son.
A CHRISTMAS STORY

58) I was born a poor black child.
THE JERK

59) Would ya just watch the hair. Ya know, I spend a long time on my hair and he hit it; he hit my hair.
SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER

60) To infinity, and beyond!
TOY STORY

61) I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
STEEL MAGNOLIAS

62) We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.
WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

63) Strike first, strike hard, no mercy, sir!
THE KARATE KID

64) Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops.
ARSENIC AND OLD LACE

65) You're tearing me apart!
REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE

66) That's why they call them crushes. If they were easy, they'd call them something else.
SIXTEEN CANDLES

67) I want the people to know that they still have 2 out of 3 branches of the government working for them, and that ain't bad.
MARS ATTACKS!

68) I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them.
FULL METAL JACKET

69) There are eight million stories in the naked city. This has been one of them.
THE NAKED CITY

70) Don't torture yourself, Gomez. That's my job.
THE ADDAMS FAMILY

71) Wanna dance or would you rather just suck face?
ON GOLDEN POND

72) Pretend I blew up the school . . . all the schools. Now that you're dead, what are you gonna do with your life?
HEATHERS

73) Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories.
AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER

74) Funny like I'm a clown? I amuse you?
GOODFELLAS

75) I admire its purity, its sense of survival; unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
ALIEN

76) The ending is only the beginning.
THE HUMAN COMEDY

77) Friar Tuck, it seems that I have an outlaw for an in-law!
ROBIN HOOD

78) A man is defined by his actions, not his memories.
TOTAL RECALL

79) Destiny is something we've invented because we can't stand the fact that everything that happens is accidental.
SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE

80) I know you are, but what am I?
PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE

81) I guess that's the way the whole durned human comedy keeps perpetuatin' itself.
THE BIG LEBOWSKI

82) If they move, kill 'em.
THE WILD BUNCH

83) Food fight!
NATIONAL LAMPOON'S ANIMAL HOUSE

84) We're not killing anybody on our wedding day.
NATURAL BORN KILLERS

85) I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.
SAY ANYTHING

86) Goonies never say die.
THE GOONIES

87) I want the fairy tale.
PRETTY WOMAN

88) You're not too smart, are you? I like that in a man.
BODY HEAT

89) The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
THE USUAL SUSPECTS

90) His name will live as long as there is a ball, a bat, and a boy.
THE BABE RUTH STORY

91) I was a better man with you as a woman, then I ever was with a woman as a man.
TOOTSIE

92) This is the time for maintaining a cool head, and following the one simple rule: put the blame on somebody else.
HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING

93) I'm alright. Fortunately, the ground broke my fall.
NIGHT SHIFT

94) We're alike, me and cat. A couple of poor nameless slobs.
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S

95) That'll be a dispute to the end of time, Mr. Brown: whether it's better to do the right thing for the wrong reason or the wrong thing for the right reason.
NATIONAL VELVET

96) They're called boobs, Ed.
ERIN BROCKOVICH

97) I'm here to fight for truth, justice, and the American way.
SUPERMAN

98) You can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.
THE UNTOUCHABLES

99) Face it, girls: I'm older and have more insurance.
FRIED GREEN TOMATOES

100) Every problem has a solution.
PHILADELPHIA


***************************************************

So, those are my picks. And it was harder than I thought to compile them. And I know I've left out some great quotes (I could have easily made another 100 list)...but, hey...that's what comments are for....

9 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger The Rainbow Zebra said...

Oooooh I love your choices too!!

Some family faves:
"I like it when she goes Buh-buh-buh-buh-Buh-Buh Buh!" OVERBOARD

"Laugh it up, Fuzzball" EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

"Feed me!" LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS

"Wax on, Wax off" KARATE KID

"You think I'm gorgeous, you want to kiss me, you want to hug me, you want to love me" MISS CONGENIALITY (you should hear my 3 yr old say this LOL)

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Stephen said...

Wow. I admire the effort, and the brain power to recall all those lines. There are so many choice ones. But what gets me is that most of them are not great lines so much as great moments in movies, or lines that define great movies. The lines themselves are not great ("Show me the money" is only good in the context of the movie.) Both lists are wonderful ("I'm not worthy!") but I think calling them best quotes is a mistake. "Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride," is a great line in or out of context. But "Make my day." is nothing without the movie around it. Just my cranky two cents.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger AGFH said...

Your list is MUCH better!

I am going to steal your idea and do this too! OK OK....I will give you credit for the idea. :-)

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Kira said...

the no wire hangers ever, a classic :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home