Nutbag Parents: Another Dryer Disaster
Toddler burnt when put in clothes dryer
Wednesday May 31 08:39 AEST
A 13-month-old Perth baby suffered horrific burns when she was put in a clothes dryer, police say.
The baby was left with her mother's boyfriend at a home in suburban Warwick while the woman went to a gym for about an hour last Thursday, police said.
The baby spilt liquid on herself and the man put her in the clothes dryer and turned it on, police said.
"The person we allege has done the act has stated that he has put the child into a clothes tumble dryer, closed the door and turned it on for a couple of minutes," Senior Detective Deb Newman said.
"The child had burns to both feet, to one of her hands, burns and bruising to her back and bruising to her forehead," she said. "The injuries are horrific. In my years of being a police officer I have not seen or heard of this type of injury before."
The mother returned home to find her daughter suffering serious burns but her boyfriend did not mention the dryer, she said.
Police investigated after the hospital where the baby was treated informed them the child's injuries were suspicious and highly unusual.
Snr Det Newman said the mother was distraught but the toddler should make a full recovery and be released from the burns unit at Princess Margaret Hospital for Children later this week.
Samuel Marc Barnes Siddall, 21, of suburban Beldon, appeared in Perth Magistrates' Court on Tuesday charged with causing bodily harm or danger.
He was granted bail on condition that he did not approach, or contact, the mother and child. He is due to appear in the Joondalup Magistrates' Court at a date to be set next month.
I think my original comments on the first such incident say it best: I cannot fathom the evil that resides in some people.