Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Eight Years

Today marks eight years since the death of my mother from breast cancer.

Does this ever get any easier? Will it always feel like an unhealed, open wound, pulsating with pain after being prodded?

My mother wasn't just a mom. She really was my best friend. People were forever telling me how lucky I was to have a mom like mine, and well I knew it. She was one in a million, and I still feel her loss as keenly today as when it happened, eight years ago.

I rarely wish I was back in Ohio, but every year on this day, I wish I was well enough in to take the summer heat in Dayton, just so I could lay flowers on her grave. So I could be with people who knew her and loved her like I did. And do.

I was very lucky to have her. I miss her so much....

3 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Pixie LaRouge said...

(((tender hugs)))

It seems so inadequate to say, but I really am so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a truly wonderful woman, and I know, for a fact, that she raised a wonderful woman.

Blessings today

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

No, it does not get easier, it just become less sharp. The fact that you think of her often is much more of a tribute than a couple of wilting flowers though.

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't even tell you how much this post meant to me. I'm blessed to still have my mother, and yes, she's my best friend too. I'm so sorry for your loss those years ago...I can't imagine it getting any better if I were in your shoes. I suppose that it wouldn't be any easier because she was such a special and important person in your life. My heart goes out to you. And I want to thank you for reminding me how fortunate I am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home