Thursday, December 01, 2005

Race: More Than Meets the Eye

Many people believe they have "gaydar," the ability to discern who is gay and who isn't based mostly on appearance and mannerisms. Even more people believe they can accurately tell what race a person is by their appearance. These are the sorts of people who will angrily tell me, "You don't LOOK like an Indian!" I don't? Well, I must...because I am!

In that vein, I offer this link:

RACE: THE POWER OF AN ILLUSION


This is a little quiz from PBS. It includes several thumbnail pictures of men and women from various races (you can see a larger picture by clicking on the thumbnails). It then invites you to put the pictures into categories: White, Black, Asian, Hispanic/Latino, Native American.

If you think it's going to be easy, guess again!

I myself only got seven of them right...and I missed one of the Native Americans, to boot.

Give it a try, and leave me a comment with your score!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

Not to make light, but when someone learns that I have MS, they inevitably say "You look so well, how can you have MS!?"

Book, cover, judgement.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Pixie LaRouge said...

Wow. 7. But I knew I wouldn't get too many right. I'm not that good of a guesser. :)

I'm not entirely sure that an awareness of race and culture is a bad thing, though, for instance your pride in your Native ethnicity, and mine in my Irish (and other, stranger) roots. The hard part is combining awareness with a lack of judgement. I really do wonder if the world will ever get there.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger AGFH said...

Let's just say I sucked at it.
I am totally aqainst racial profiling, especially by site.
Ask anyone what race I am and they will say white, when I am in reality American Indian and Amish.

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger The Rainbow Zebra said...

I got 8 right. : /

I'm a Heinz 57 myself LOL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home