Friday, October 22, 2004

Music to My Ears.....

Well, dear bloggies, it's been a great few days (despite the broken foot).

On Wed., my friend Ruth came over. We hung out for a while, and I helped her with her English paper. Then I talked on the phone with Fizz. I am so glad he's happy here in Portland. Things are finally starting to look up for him: great job, nice boyfriend. No one deserves it more.

On Thursday, we all went thrift shopping, which I love. I hit the jackpot at Deseret: TONS of clothes for me and the kids, including a to-die-for Oscar de la Renta pegnoir set for me and a cute Gap coat for Wren with leopard-print fur on the collar. She looks like quite the little diva in it.

We also put a new computer in layaway; I'll finally be able to relegate this one to the dungpile in which it belongs. Then we catapulted into the modern era and ordered Direct TV. Finally, we too shall have more than six channels. Phoenix is already excited about getting to watch "Forensic Files" on a regular basis. Then we all went out to eat as a family.

The highlight of the day happened because, of all things, a tire went flat on our car on the way back from the restaurant. We barely made it into a Les Schwab, and while the tires were being changed, we walked next door into Tigard Music. I've never been there before, and quite probably won't go back. It was a small shop devoted mostly to guitars and amps. They had two drum sets, a few older sheet music books and about a dozen or so violins and violas. There was also a double-bass, which looked quite nice but sounded hollow and weak. The violins were all second-rate Eastern European kindling. There may not have been much for me there, but Jonathan had a blast jamming out on the guitars. He had quite a crowd gathered to watch him play. Sometimes, I forget how talented this man is....

After the car was fixed, and as there were no instruments for me at the first shop, we headed downtown to a strings shop Jonathan had noticed on his way into work a few weeks ago. This place was everything the first shop was not (I'll add the name when I find the card). It was big and lovely inside; filled to the rafters with beautiful, hand-made stringed instruments. The owner was both knowledgeable and friendly (my kids had a wonderful time playing with his Jack Russell terrier, Gracie).

I went into the shop to find a violin and ended up...finding the perfect cello. I haven't played cello in nearly 14 years...but it all came back to me as I played this gorgeous instrument. Never has a cello spoken to me as this one has. It was not the most expensive nor the most attractive of the cellos available; but as the owner and I both agreed: each player is looking for different things. And this cello felt like it was made just for me.

We put some money down on it, and will be paying it off. I rushed right home and listened to some Rasputina. Music to my ears...

3 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, Blogger Pixie LaRouge said...

OMGOMGOMG!!! Someone else who not only has HEARD of Rasputina, but actually LISTENS! I knew I liked you for a reason :)

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Angel Singer said...

We Rasputina fans must stick together! ;-)

 
At 2:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog you have. I have a rectangular cellos
related site. Check it out if you get a chance. The URL is rectangular cellos

 

Post a Comment

<< Home